Wednesday, January 14

Web 3.0 Defined

So looking over Alice's definition of web 3.0, and exploring the only resource I use any more (I swear I'm trying to broaden my horizons) it seems to me the way we've started to use the term web 3.0 is not quite accurate.  

We've been thinking of it as the next evolution from the web as something you consume (web 1.0), to the web as something where the producers and the consumers are less defined (web 2.0) to a place where the web 2.0 collaborations end up with physical, real world interactions (web 3.0).  

I'm not sure where we got this from, and while I think this manifestation of physical world meet ups is something relevant- is it web 3.0?  As web 3.0 is the future possibilities of web technology (open being a key part) it's probably impossible to restrict the definition, but I'm curious if there's another more accurate categorization for our web networks manifesting in physical meet-ups.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm I got a definition from wikipedia for us here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_3.0

    I get from it, like Rebecca says, that it isn't really defined.

    So on Goran Carstedt's advice why dont we create our future, by envisioning a utopic 3.0?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's probably a big part of this project, creating the future we want to see. I like it Alice!

    And today, catching up on my web surfing after the fever hiatus- I keep catching people referring to the internet/physical match up as web 2.0. I like what Clay called it- hybridization of physical and virtual using web 2.0 technology

    ReplyDelete